Flexible And Fair Dispute Resolution Services
A disagreement may eventually reach the point at which there are significant financial, business or legal stakes. While facing a dispute can be stressful, you can use a strategic approach to ensure that the results are as favorable as possible.
At my firm, I leverage my knowledge from nearly five decades of legal practice to creatively solve problems. I serve as a dedicated attorney, mediator or arbitrator. Contact my office to discuss your goals.
Determine The Right Option For Your Case
When you encounter a conflict with another party, your options for dispute resolution can include:
- Informal negotiation: You can attempt to work with the other party to settle with mutually agreeable terms.
- Mediation: A neutral third party, or mediator, assists both parties in reaching a mutually agreeable settlement.
- Arbitration: A neutral third party, which may either be an arbitrator or arbitration panel, listens to the arguments presented by each party in an out-of-court setting. The arbitrator then reaches an authoritative decision for the parties, which may or may not be legally binding and enforceable depending on the case.
- Litigation: A judge or jury reviews the facts and perspectives of each party, then reaches a formal decision in a court setting. Litigation involves strict procedures and rules.
Some of the most important factors to consider when deciding how to proceed include time, costs and level of control. The less formal options are often faster and more cost-effective while allowing you to retain control. More formal options can be lengthier, but they might be the best option when parties cannot compromise on fair terms. I can help you identify the benefits and drawbacks of each option for your specific situation.
Offering Deep Experience In Resolving Legal Conflicts
I will bring my unique experience to your case, which includes:
- More than 2,500 mediated or arbitrated cases
- Membership with the American Arbitration Association
- Membership with the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Certification in mediation through the North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission
- 16 years of service as a U.S. Magistrate Judge
- Knowledge across multiple practice areas, such as business law, personal injury, insurance law, disaster relief and maritime law
My experience allows me to provide detailed insight as you consider a settlement offer or prepare for trial. Although civil and business disputes involve complex laws and factors, I understand how to help you reach a constructive solution.
Seek Guidance When A Dispute Arises
Waiting to explore your legal options could let a dispute worsen in the meantime. If you sense a budding legal conflict, call 252-631-6555 or email me. Based in New Bern, Charles K. McCotter Jr., Attorney at Law, can supply you with the advice you need to move forward.